The 13th Amendment is Some Bullshit

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
Section 2. Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

The thirteenth amendment of the United States Constitution promises the abolition of slavery. Under a certain condition. If you are ever convicted of a crime, it has then become legal for you to be punished as a slave. I'm not about to sit here and write a fucking dissertation, I've got things to do. But I think it's amazing how many people overlook this.

I'm not above that, either. I was listening to a recording of a Christian Scott concert from April that had him explain that very bluntly to me. In fact, I felt a little bad when he said "Oh, so we live in this country, but we don't know the rules, huh?" He was right, though. A lot of people are ignorant to the weasel ways laws can work against people.

It's easy for me to say "This will never happen to me," but millions of people are wrongly convicted of bullshit charges everyday, and being young and black in this country just throws me in a demographic that tells me I'm not going to have my life any other way. I'm saying this all before I get responses like "Well, the government wouldn't let something like that happen," or "You're being hysterical." Until I'm treated as an equal, I'd rather not look at it any other way.

Man, life can get all up in your ass, baby
You better work it out
Let me tell you what it's all about
Our skin's not considered equal
A meteor has more right than my people


This isn't just about black people, or minorities in general, though. People lose too many rights when they are convicted... Losing control of your life should not be something to be taken away so easily. Labels:

2 comments:

Onyemaechi said...

i like this! the first blog i've come across that talks about deep real life issues. I am pretty sure that ur aware of the one world system that the U.S is creating. I really dnt want to know how much more damage this country can do or what it has done already but on a real i respect the info.

Onyexoxo

Syl DuBenion said...

Yeah, I'm familiar with the One World thing. I'm not a fan, honestly... I don't know too much about it, though.

And thanks. I'm glad the blog peaked your interests. Sometimes I feel like I'm just writing to myself, lol. It's good to get this stuff out somewhere, but it's even better when someone else gives their opinion. Thanks, again.

Post a Comment